- TikTok could open the door for Chinese election interference ... ›
- What three African nations can teach us about elections - The Fulcrum ›
- The instruction manual for autocratic governing was written just ... ›
- Intelligence whistleblowers often pay a severe price - The Fulcrum ›
Rubens was a Republican state senator in New Hampshire from 1994 to 1998. He's a board member of American Promise, which seeks to amend the Constitution to allow tighter controls on money in politics.
This month I shared the stage at American Promise's citizen leadership conference with Rep. Jamie Raskin, a liberal Democrat from Maryland. We differ on policy, but the two of us join most every American in agreeing on this deepest fundamental: Our government must be solely accountable to the governed — we, the American people.
To this end, to protect and preserve the world's oldest democratic republic, we will break the suffocating grip of concentrated big-money. We will get a 28th Amendment added to our cherished and ever-more-perfect Constitution.
Democrats are overwhelmingly on board. Two-thirds of Republican voters are on board. Now is the time to get Republicans in Congress to join us in large numbers. To do so we must persuade their most conservative constituents. And we can do that because big-money corruption is undermining three critical conservative priorities: capitalism, low taxes and federalism.
- American Promise - The Fulcrum ›
- The Constitution must be amended to assure political equality - The ... ›
- Sunlight Foundation, a transparency trailblazer, closes - The Fulcrum ›