Johnson is a United Methodist pastor, the author of "Holding Up Your Corner: Talking About Race in Your Community" (Abingdon Press, 2017) and a senior fellow at the Bridge Alliance, a coalition of more than 100 civic reform groups. (Disclosure: The Bridge Alliance Education Fund is a funder of The Fulcrum.)
- Racism is the greatest threat to democracy today - The Fulcrum ›
- A young black reformer's prescription to help fix democracy - The ... ›
- Podcast playlist: Racial injustice and a troubled democracy - The ... ›
- Willis Johnson melds theology, racial justice and democracy - The ... ›
Before graduating in June from high school in Sugar Land, Texas, Tangirala launched the Anti-Racist Curriculum Reform effort to persuade school districts to teach more about racism and include more perspectives of people of color in social studies.
- What everyone should know about Reconstruction 150 years after ... ›
- Democracy would benefit if every college student learned how to lobby ›
Claim: President deployed National Guard to Minn. over objections of state leaders. Fact check: False
"Minnesota's Democrat governor [Tim Walz] failed to urgently deploy the National Guard — it took President Trump for that to eventually happen; his suggestion — and the ultimate descendance into chaos there in Minneapolis." — White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany, June 29
President Trump and his team repeated multiple times that he was responsible for deploying the National Guard to deal with rioting in Minnesota. The first time Trump took credit for the deployment was during an interview with Nexstar on June 17.
"I brought it out five days after they started. They wouldn't use the National Guard. I brought the National Guard to — I told them, I said, 'You got to get the National Guard.' We got them in," he told Nexstar. "Everything stopped in Minneapolis. It was really an amazing thing, actually, to see, and they had no problems after we called out the Guard."
Two days later, Trump tweeted: "Forced Democrat run Minnesota to bring in the National Guard & end rioting & looting after seeing the destruction & crime in Minneapolis."
- Minnesota limits on voting helpers is illegal - The Fulcrum ›
- Minnesota leaders holding up federal election security money - The ... ›
- Minnesota National Guard to help with election security - The Fulcrum ›
Anderson was editor of "Leveraging: A Political, Economic and Societal Framework" (Springer, 2014), has taught at five universities and sought the Democratic nomination for a House seat in Maryland in 2016.
- American democracy movement on the rise - The Fulcrum ›
- More ballot initiatives won't make Americans feel better about politics ›
- Americans have no faith in government's interest in its citizens - The ... ›
- Our weakened democracy may be made even weaker by coronavirus ›