Following up on Kevin Johnson's Election Dissection post Tuesday about the dangers of politicizing election fraud investigations, it's a good time to highlight the Election Reformers Network's comprehensive report examining how the presence of elected secretaries of state can undermine confidence in the vote. Secretaries of state need to be umpires, not players, in the elections they supervise, the report says.
- The 13 states where election security matters most - The Fulcrum ›
- Fact-checking claims that Pompeo violated the Hatch Act - The ... ›
- Montana's Stapleton nixes upgrade to voter registration system - The ... ›
- Pa. secretary of state talks political reform, voter fears - The Fulcrum ›
Girvan is a research fellow at the Foundation for Research on Equal Opportunity, a free-market think tank focused on policies affecting the poor.
- Fact checking Trump's power to use the Insurrection Act - The Fulcrum ›
- While fighting the virus, liberals rally behind states' rights banner ›
- The coronavirus response: Trump vs. the states - The Fulcrum ›
- Who's in charge of lifting lockdowns? - The Fulcrum ›
A sweeping election reform measure has been removed from the November ballot following a North Dakota Supreme Court ruling Tuesday.
The measure would have established an independent redistricting commission as well as other changes to the election process, if approved by voters. But the high court agreed with a lawsuit that claimed voters had been misled during the signature gathering process.
This year's general election is the last opportunity for some states to approve redistricting reforms before election maps are redrawn next year. The court's decision means North Dakota's legislative districts will remain subject to partisan gerrymandering for another decade. (The state's sole seat in the U.S. House isn't subject to remapping.)
- Missouri votes may undo latest revamp of redistricting rules - The ... ›
- CAP's final report on gerrymandering cites harsh voting laws - The ... ›
- Ark., Nev., N.D., Ore. inch closer to redistricting reform - The Fulcrum ›
- Arkansas redistricting reform blocked from November ballot - The Fulcrum ›
Millman produced and directed "Line in the Street," a 2018 documentary about partisan gerrymandering in Pennsylvania.
- There's a new state-by-state guide for tackling partisan ... ›
- High court to voters: You deal with partisan gerrymandering. - The ... ›
- The human cost of the partisan gerrymandering decision - The ... ›
- Experts identify the worst examples of gerrymandering - The Fulcrum ›