Five stories to read about voting rights
This week, governors and legislatures across the country took action to change voting rules in a handful of states while Senate Democrats made modifications to the sweeping election overhaul bill known as the For the People Act.
While many state legislatures are debating bills to alternately ease or restrict voting, the most progress has been made in states that are tightening election rules. This week, Texas and Florida took big steps in that direction, while New York became the latest to restore voting rights to felons who have completed their sentences.
Here are five key stories to keep you in the loop on the latest activity.
Senator Joe Manchin Seeks Compromise on Voting Rights Legislation (The Intelligencer/Wheeling News-Register)
- Will 2021 be defined by voting rights and electoral reform? - The ... ›
- New York should pass its own Voting Rights Act - The Fulcrum ›
- Virginia is first Southern state to adopt voting rights act - The Fulcrum ›
- State lawmakers seek changes to voting rights laws - The Fulcrum ›
- Two bills to make the next election fair - The Fulcrum ›