Claim: Donations to Black Lives Matter actually fund Democratic campaigns. Fact check: False
Wow this video is really important and every person needs to watch and share it. Black Lives Matter donations go di… https://t.co/uSZWsGkBh9— Candace Owens (@Candace Owens)1591835090.0
Conservative commentator Candace Owens shared a video Wednesday of someone attempting to donate to the official Black Lives Matter organization. Clicking on the "Donate" button on the BLM website redirects the user to an ActBlue URL. A condition on that page reads "ActBlue Charities is a registered charitable organization formed to democratize charitable giving."
ActBlue is the primary fundraising platform for donations to Democratic candidates, PACs, or 501c4 nonprofit organizations. Republicans have an equivalent online fundraising processing tool called WinRed. Donations at either of these sites go directly to the intended recipient; they are not pooled and then distributed across candidates. ActBlue charges a 3.95% transaction fee on every contribution.
- Pandemic or not, young people remain key to elections - The Fulcrum ›
- A young black reformer's prescription to help fix democracy - The ... ›
- Designing youth civic education for representative civic participation ... ›
- Surge of donations to Black candidates tests old assumptions - The Fulcrum ›
- Democracy needs investors to fund nonprofit collaborations - The Fulcrum ›