Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Follow Us:
Top Stories

Watchdog allowed to sue dark money group while FEC's in limbo

Pile of dark money

Tomasz Zajda/EyeEm/Getty Images

The campaign finance watchdog CREW has been given unique permission to pursue one of its longstanding targets in federal court rather than through the habitually deadlocked and currently neutered Federal Election Commission.

The group, formally Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, has complained for years to the FEC about the right-leaning American Action Network. The watchdogs allege the conservative group has routinely been spending millions to back Republican candidates and has violated federal election law by failing to register as a political committee and comply with donor disclosure rules.

The FEC has dismissed the case twice. The first time, CREW followed the normal procedures and sued the agency in federal court in hopes of a reversal, which did not happen. After the second dismissal by the regulators, CREW sued AAN directly.

On Monday, Judge Christopher Cooper of U.S. District Court in Washington said the litigation could go forward, declaring it was the first time a "citizen suit" of this kind has gone forward since the agency was created 45 years ago.


The judge offered a blistering denunciation of the FEC, which was beset by partisan deadlock for almost a decade until September, when it lost its quorum of four commissioners and was forced to shutter all but its most prosaic functions. It's "the only government agency that does exactly what Congress designed it to do: nothing," Cooper wrote. "The punchline of that old Washington joke may be increasingly true, but its premise is uncharitable to Congress."

When the FEC was established in the wake of the Watergate scandal, Congress anticipated the partisan deadlock that has recently characterized the commission, so an alternative path was included that allows complainants to sue the commission or the alleged violator directly. But Cooper said it had never been applied before.

"This is an unprecedented decision and a major victory in the fight to ensure that we know as much as the law requires who is spending money to influence our political decisions," CREW Executive Director Noah Bookbinder said. "If the FEC will not or cannot do its job, watchdogs can."

Officials at AAN signaled they might appeal.

The group reported just under $50 million in independent campaign expenditures during election seasons from 2010 through 2016. The money was spent mainly on TV spots in the districts of House Republicans in close races. But AAN asserts those ads were about advancing conservative legislative ideas and so the rules about exposing "dark money" donations should not apply. Cooper's ruling said they were obviously meant to help or hurt particular congressional candidates.

AAN is no longer in the independent expenditure business. Instead it funneled almost $25 million during the midterm campaign to a super PAC linked to House GOP leaders.


Read More

People waiting in a line outside as the sun sets.

Voters wait in line outside the Metropolitan Multi-Service Center to cast their ballots in Houston, Tuesday, Nov. 4, 2025. A recent state investigation confirmed that some registered voters flagged as potential noncitizens by a federal system had already provided proof of citizenship.

Brett Coomer/Houston Chronicle via Getty Images

Texas Confirms Some Flagged As Potential Noncitizens on Voter Rolls Had Provided DPS Proof of Citizenship

Election officials across the state should immediately reinstate some voters who were incorrectly flagged as potential noncitizens through a federal program, the Texas Secretary of State’s Office told county officials Wednesday.

Christina Adkins, the state elections director, told county officials the state had reviewed Texas Department of Public Safety records confirming the citizenship of some of the 2,724 registered voters who were flagged as potential noncitizens, according to an audio recording of her comments obtained by Votebeat and The Texas Tribune, as well as election officials who heard them. The voters were flagged after the state checked its voter roll through a federal program called Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements, or SAVE, used to verify the citizenship of people registered to vote.

Keep ReadingShow less
​U.S. President Donald Trump sitting in the Oval Office.

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during an announcement on American nuclear innovation in the Oval Office at the White House on July 24, 2026 in Washington, DC.

Eric Lee/Getty Images

Trump’s Elections Speech Was Not the Opening Shot; It was the Latest Salvo

President Donald Trump’s recent address repeating his claim that he won the 2020 election was widely portrayed as a dramatic escalation of his attacks on our election system. It wasn’t.

It is nothing new!

Keep ReadingShow less
  Creative Images Creative Images & Video Images Creative Editorial Video Creative Editorial  Search by image or video Close-up of woman holding a smartphone.

Can secure mobile voting expand election access? Explore how smartphone voting could increase turnout, improve accessibility, and modernize U.S. elections.

Sitthiphong/Getty Images

Mail-In Ballots Are Still Under Attack. Mobile Voting Can Protect Access To The Ballot Box.

Late last year, I became CEO of The Mobile Voting Project. Previously, I served as Chief of Staff to two United States senators, Chief of Staff at the US Department of Education, and Chief of Staff for Vice President Kamala Harris's presidential campaign. At every step in my public service career, I have always had one clear goal: making government work better for everyday people.

I believe that we cannot make government work better if we do not start at the very foundation of our government itself: democracy and voting. In my current role with The Mobile Voting Project, we are focused on making voting more seamless, secure, and accessible. We believe that putting democracy — literally — into the palms of every American’s hand is how we can boost turnout, reduce extremism, and strengthen our democracy.

Keep ReadingShow less
 Woman voting on election day

Proportional representation is gaining momentum in the U.S. Explore ranked choice voting, open-list systems, constitutional limits, and the future of electoral reform.

Getty Images, Tetra Images

Which Proportional Voting System Best Fits America’s Constraints?

In the wake of recent redistricting battles, proportional representation is having a moment. Ezra Klein devoted an entire episode to touting it as a solution to gerrymandering. A flock of Substackers and influencers chimed in. Even Kamala Harris and Pete Buttigieg came out as PR curious.

From the hubbub, you might assume that most students of US elections believe that multi-winner districts with proportional representation are the only full solution to the redistricting wars, and you’d be right. But beyond that point of consensus, agreement breaks down. Proponents split into camps over which type of proportional representation to pursue.

Keep ReadingShow less