At a time of extreme political polarization, a bold and comprehensive proposal reimagining civic education shows a path toward a healthier American democracy.
The "Roadmap to Educating for American Democracy," released Tuesday, provides guidance to national, state, local and tribal leaders on how to strengthen K-12 history and civic education practices and standards. This roadmap is the culmination of 18 months of collaboration by more than 300 scholars, educators and practitioners from a variety of ideological, demographic and professional backgrounds.
For decades, the public education system has failed to adequately prepare adolescents to be informed and engaged citizens. But this roadmap aims to change that by ushering in a renewed focus and investment in civic education.
- 2021 could be a year of opportunity for civics educators - The Fulcrum ›
- Proper governance requires better civic education - The Fulcrum ›
- Our democracy demands an investment in civic education ›
Organizers: American Democracy Project and NASPA
The 2021 Civic Learning & Democratic Engagement Meeting will facilitate exchanges of knowledge and develop a sense of community around our shared civic learning and democratic engagement work. The theme for CLDE21 is "Defining the Path Forward." The past year has created unique challenges for our institutions, students, and communities, and CLDE21 provides an opportunity to come together to reflect on the lessons learned and identify opportunities to help define our path forward.
Participants will have opportunities to network and develop their civic-minded thinking and practices through plenary sessions, special topic sessions, concurrent sessions, and civic cafes.
Solomon is on the faculty of Stanford University's design school and a creator of Vote by Design, an educational site designed to promote civic and political engagement among younger voters.
Solomont is retiring this spring after seven years as dean of the Tisch College of Civic Life at Tufts University. He was ambassador to Spain and Andorra during the Obama administration.
- 200M needed annually to boost civic ed, commission on public ›
- The "business case" for civic education - The Fulcrum ›
- Community engagement as a vital component of civic education ... ›
- Louise Dubé drives more equitable, inclusive civics learning - The ... ›
- Report: America needs to reimagine civic education - The Fulcrum ›