Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Follow Us:
Top Stories

Raining on Trump’s Military Parade

News

Raining on Trump’s Military Parade

President Donald Trump

Brandon Bell/Getty Images

The 250th anniversary of the U.S. Army is being celebrated today with a massive parade. There are events planned throughout the day in Washington, DC, but the parade is scheduled to kick off at 6:30 p.m. EST.

President Donald Trump said of the event, “For two and a half centuries, our brave soldiers have fought, bled, and died to keep us FREE, and now we will honor them with a wonderful Parade, one that is worthy of their service and sacrifice."


Trump, whose 79th birthday coincides with the Army celebration, has received criticism over the parade, including from Democrats who say the event is to celebrate himself.

"It’s a vulgar display. It is the kind of thing you see Kim Jong-un, you see it Putin, you see with dictators around the world that are weak and just want to demonstrate strength," said California Governor Gavin Newsom. "Weakness masquerading as strength. To fete the dear leader on his birthday? What an embarrassment."

Newsom is in the middle of a political and legal battle with Trump. A federal judge said the president's deployment of the National Guard to Los Angeles to quell immigration protests was illegal. An appeals court has temporarily blocked the judge's order.

"Trump is throwing himself a $30 million birthday parade just to stroke his own ego," Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-IL) said on X. "If it was really about celebrating military families, we could put $30 million toward helping them offset the cost of their child care, food assistance and tuition."

When factoring in security and other expenses, the projected price tag is $45 million+.

Christopher Purdy, an Army veteran who served in Iraq, called the parade a facade that paints over some of the Republican president’s policies that have targeted military veterans and current service members, including cuts at the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Purdy, who spoke to the Associated Press, said the parade will needlessly display U.S. military might.

Some weather forecasters are predicting the possibility of rain in the DC area today.

Mother Nature isn't the only one threatening to rain on Trump's parade. Millions are expected to protest in what organizers predict will be the strongest display of opposition to Trump’s administration since he returned to the White House.

Thousands of protests across all 50 states are planned through the No Kings movement, which organizers say seeks to reject “authoritarianism, billionaire-first politics, and the militarization of our democracy.”

Trump has warned that protesters who show up to the parade will be met with “very big force.”

However, not everyone disagrees with Trump's military parade. Among those attending will be some of the president's most devoted House supporters, such as Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia. “Yes, of course,” she said earlier this week. “I’m going to be there for the 250th anniversary of the Army.”

The last time Washington, DC hosted a military parade was in 1991, to celebrate victory in the first Gulf War.


Read More

Pritzker uses State of the State to defend immigrants, says Chicago targeted by federal actions

Governor JB Pritzker delivers his FY2027 state budget proposal at the Illinois State Capitol in Springfield, Ill. on Wednesday, Feb. 18th, 2026.

Angeles Ponpa, Illinois Latino News

Pritzker uses State of the State to defend immigrants, says Chicago targeted by federal actions

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker used part of his State of the State address Wednesday to criticize federal immigration enforcement actions and contrast Illinois’ approach with federal policy.

The annual address largely centered on the governor’s proposed state budget and affordability agenda, but Pritzker devoted his last remarks to immigration, framing the issue as a broader test of national values.

Keep ReadingShow less
Warrantless home searches sparked the American Revolution – now ICE wants to bring them back

ICE agents search a home on January 28, 2026, in Circle Pines, Minnesota.

(Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Warrantless home searches sparked the American Revolution – now ICE wants to bring them back

In 1761, James Otis Jr., a 36-year-old lawyer, ignited an early spark of the American Revolution when he resigned his post as Massachusetts Advocate General to represent merchants challenging the British use of overly broad warrants. Though he lost the case, his speech electrified the colonies: John Adams later wrote that Otis’s argument was the moment when “the Child Independence was born.”

That struggle over arbitrary warrants is no longer a historical footnote, now that the federal government is reviving the very practice Otis condemned. An internal ICE memo dated May 12, 2025, authorizes agents to enter homes solely on the basis of an “administrative warrant,” without prior judicial approval. The memo acknowledged that this marked a departure from historic ICE practices but claimed that DHS had “recently determined that the U.S. Constitution…[did] not prohibit relying on administrative warrants”.

Keep ReadingShow less
U.S. Capitol.
Ken Burns’ The American Revolution highlights why America’s founders built checks and balances—an urgent reminder as Congress, the courts, and citizens confront growing threats to democratic governance.
Photo by Andy Feliciotti on Unsplash

Partial Shutdown; Congress Asserts Itself a Little

DHS Shutdown

As expected, the parties in the Senate could not come to an agreement on DHS funding and now the agency will be shut down. Sort of.

So much money was appropriated for DHS, and ICE and CBP specifically, in last year's reconciliation bill, that DHS could continue to operate with little or no interruption. Other parts of DHS like FEMA and the TSA might face operational cuts or shutdowns.

Keep ReadingShow less