Organizer: American Promise
In observance of Constitution Day, Beverly Churchill, president of Alaska Move to Amend, will talk about how to amend the Constitution and provide a brief history of several amendments. Q&A moderated by Bill Hall of Alaska Common Ground.
Most Americans are accustomed to a winner-take-all voting process, making one, decisive choice between a multitude of candidates.
Ranked-choice voting changes the standard methodology. RCV allows voters to rank multiple candidates in order of personal preference, replacing a "plurality winner" system with a vastly different election process that hasn't been widely seen in the United States for some time.
This past year, ranked-choice voting has been having a sort of coming-out party. It was used in Democratic presidential primaries in four states as well as the Nevada caucuses. And referendums instituting ranked-choice voting are on the ballot this fall in five cities and three states — Alaska, Massachusetts and North Dakota.
- Ranked-choice voting wins Democracy Madness regional title - The ... ›
- Why ranked-choice voting is bad: Consider a current scenario. - The ... ›
- Ranked-choice voting would create a more representative USA ... ›
- First ranked-choice presidential vote in Maine this fall - The Fulcrum ›
A measure that would revamp Alaska's elections will be put to a statewide vote in November.
The package cleared the last remaining hurdle to getting on the ballot Friday, when the state Supreme Court ruled unanimously that it met the requirement that referendums all relate to a single topic.
Adoption of the initiative would on a single day push Alaska to the forefront of states adopting central goals of the mainstream democracy reform movement. The proposal would replace traditional partisan primaries for state and federal officeswith single contests open to all candidates; allow the top four finishers to advance to the November ballot; use ranked-choice voting to choose the winner; and bolster state campaign finance rules with strict new disclosure requirements.
- Ranked-choice voting backers eye momentum from NYC victory ... ›
- Florida voters to decide on open-top-two primary structure - The ... ›
- Alaska's RCV and open primary plan take a step forward - The ... ›