Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Follow Us:
Top Stories

If it’s Biden vs. Trump…will Americans tune out the next election?

If it’s Biden vs. Trump…will Americans tune out the next election?

President Donald Trump speaks during the first presidential debate with former Vice President Joe Biden at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio on Tuesday, Sept. 29, 2020.

Photo by Melina Mara/The Washington Post via Getty Images

Davies is a journalist and podcaster. He runs the podcast consultancy, DaviesContent and co-hosts “How Do We Fix It?” and “Let’s Find Common Ground.”

It’s really difficult to get excited about the next election— now less than 18 months away. The prospect of two old men facing each other for a rematch may do more to depress voter turnout than anything cooked up by opponents of electoral reform.


Both Biden and Trump are overwhelming favorites to win their parties’ nominations. But seven-in-ten Americans don’t want the President to run again. And Trump’s disapproval ratings are even worse than Biden’s.

Despite enormous issues at stake, including the very survival of our democratic system, many millions of Americans may turn away from politics altogether during the long, exhausting campaign.

With Joe Biden running for re-election his party faces an enthusiasm gap. That may have a decisive impact on turnout. A Washington Post poll this month found that 63 percent of voters don’t believe that he “has the mental sharpness it takes to serve effectively as president.”

The same poll asked Democratic-leaning voters: “would you like the Democratic Party to nominate Biden to run for a second term as president in 2024, or would you like… someone other than Biden as its candidate for president?” 58 percent want an alternative candidate.

This may help explain why, despite his manifest and alarming flaws, Donald Trump appears to be ahead of the President in a hypothetical rematch.

Many Democrats are resigned to supporting the President’s re-election bid. “Biden’s reelection is predicated on his ability to win over a significant number of voters who don’t think highly of him, but who think even less highly of Trump,” wrote Amy Walter in The Cook Political Report. “The hope among Democrats is that the risk of nominating an 82-year-old candidate is just slightly less risky than the one Republicans are taking if they nominate Trump.”

But many party professionals are worried about how Biden will fare during speeches, interviews, and debates during a long campaign. He often slurs his words, mumbles or looks confused. The President seems frail.

By contrast, “Donald Trump is, as a performer, in a class of his own,” wrote journalist and blogger, Andrew Sullivan after the New Hampshire town hall event last week on CNN. Political pundits said Trump appeared energized and in command. “He may be one of the most effective and pathological demagogues I’ve ever encountered: capable of lying with staggering sincerity, of making up stories with panache: shameless, and indefatigable,” said Sullivan.

The 2024 political season is just beginning. A great deal may change. But if you feel disenchanted and depressed by the choice voters may well be presented with, you are not alone.


Read More

“We Can’t Afford It” Is Never an Acceptable Excuse To Deny Independents a Vote

DC voting rights advocate Lisa D.T. Rice criticized the DC City Council for failing to fund Initiative 83’s semi-open primary system, leaving 85,000 independent voters unable to participate in taxpayer-funded primaries despite overwhelming voter approval in 2024.

Photo by Getty Images on Unsplash.

“We Can’t Afford It” Is Never an Acceptable Excuse To Deny Independents a Vote

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Lisa D.T. Rice spoke before the DC City Council during a Budget Oversight Hearing on May 1 to talk about Initiative 83, the semi-open primary and ranked choice voting measure she proposed that was approved by 73% of voters in 2024.

- YouTube youtu.be

Keep ReadingShow less
Pregnant woman holding her belly during a prenatal exam.

Americans are questioning whether they have enough resources and support to raise a family in the nation's current political landscape. Julie Roland examines the contradictions of "pro-family" politics in America today and the kind of care mothers are owed to safely and successfully raise children.

Getty Images, Drs Producoes

The Trump Administration Has a Mommy Problem

My mother, who died of breast cancer when I was 18, had me when she was 32. This past Sunday, I turned 33, childless. As I officially fall behind her timeline, with no plans to have kids anytime soon, I look at the landscape of 2026 America and have to ask: Who can blame me?

The decision to start a family is a difficult one. J.D. Vance said on his first day as Vice President that he wants “more babies in America,” but many Americans simply can’t afford to have kids anymore. Perhaps that’s one reason why this administration is offering $5,000 “baby bonuses” just to incentivize birth, while also banning abortion in every way they can. But becoming a mother should be a choice. I was the result of an unplanned pregnancy–and I’m lucky my mom decided to have me and that she turned out to be the best mom ever–but as Miriam Rabkin, MD, MPH, put it: “if you want mom to be happy and healthy, she needs access to contraception so she can choose if and when to get pregnant!” Instead, this administration seems to think that if women won’t elect to have children, they should try paying them, and if that doesn’t work, then they should just force them.

Keep ReadingShow less
Religious leaders hold a press conference at the Episcopal Church Center.

Religious leaders hold a press conference at the Episcopal Church Center to outline plans for implementing the recommendations of President Johnson's riot commission. From the left are Rabbi Marc Tanenbaum, president of Inter-Religious Foundation for Community Organizations; Rev. Albert Cleage Jr., pastor of Detroit's Central Congregational Church; Rev., John Hines, co-chairman of Operation connection, and Rabbi Abraham Heschel, of New York's Jewish Theological Seminary.

Photo by Bettmann Archive/Getty Images

Not Forgotten: The Need To Continue The Work of Black-Jewish Legacy

An aggressor shouting “Free Palestine” choked a 32-year-old Jewish man near Adas Torah synagogue recently in the Pico-Robertson neighborhood in LA.

This episode, following on the heels of thousands more, is a stark reminder that the surge of antisemitism in the U.S. continues unabated.

Keep ReadingShow less