400K more voters ready for 2020 thanks to National Voter Registration Day
The 2020 primaries are just around the corner, and thanks to this year's National Voter Registration Day, an additional 400,000 people are ready to cast their ballots.
Last week, we TRIPLED our record for the number of registrations during an off-year/local election with 400,000 new… https://t.co/TwQacOaWiU— NatlVoterRegDay (@NatlVoterRegDay)1570029816.0
The estimated number of registrations is nearly three times that of previous non-election-year events. And while some of these new or renewed registrants can now participate in local and state elections this fall, many are gearing up for important primary races happening as early as February of next year.
Over 4,000 community partners held events where people could sign up in time for their next election, whether it's this fall or next year. The League of Women Voters alone held over 500 voter registration drives.
3,194 new young voters in ONE DAY. Young people are not just the future of Texas, we are the present - and we’re re… https://t.co/AkZScTkgoj— MOVE Texas (@MOVE Texas)1569374632.0
Celebrities across the country promoted the unofficial holiday, from Ellen and Quincy Jones to Michelle Obama and Newt Gingrich. #NationalVoterRegistrationDay was also the top trending topic on Twitter on Sept. 24.
It's #NationalVoterRegistrationDay. Listen to me, I'm a celebrity. https://t.co/ihfBr2bBv5 https://t.co/VMsCyksvSH— Ellen DeGeneres (@Ellen DeGeneres)1569370907.0
For anyone who missed National Voter Registration Day and has a local or state election in 2019, Oct. 4 is the deadline in at least 13 states. Voters can register online here.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda, NRA, Tom Hanks say, 'Register to vote' - The ... ›
- Over 500 locations in one National Voter Registration Day drive ... ›
- National Voter Registration Day was one step to reclaiming our ... ›
- Let’s help millions escape from voter registration limbo - The Fulcrum ›
- Voter Registration Day combats sharp decline in signups - The Fulcrum ›
- Universal voter registration would make deadlines irrelevant - The Fulcrum ›