Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Follow Us:
Top Stories

‘Patriotic education’: Trump orders federal push to monitor K-12 curriculum

Former Education Department staff describe the move as unprecedented interference into the country’s education system.

News

‘Patriotic education’: Trump orders federal push to monitor K-12 curriculum

President Trump's latest executive order directing the federal government to monitor K-12 education curriculum targets transgender students and those who support them in schools.

Nurphoto via AP, Allison Bailey

President Donald Trump has directed the federal government to begin a campaign to monitor and influence K-12 curriculum — a move that former Education Department staff describe as unprecedented interference into the country’s education system with the purpose of targeting marginalized groups, particularly transgender students.

In an executive order signed Wednesday, Trump instructed the secretary of education, secretary of defense and secretary of health and human services to work with the attorney general to enforce “patriotic education” and eliminate federal funding for schools promoting “indoctrination” based on “gender ideology and discriminatory equity ideology.”


These and other terms used in the order echo attempts by Republicans in red states to restrict teaching critical race theory, Black history, intersectionality and social justice, and to ban classroom instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity. For example, “discriminatory equity ideology” is defined within the order as, among other things, the belief that “the United States is fundamentally racist, sexist, or otherwise discriminatory.” Borrowing language from a recent executive order that signals the Trump administration’s opposition to transgender identity as a whole, this new order seeks to bar teachers from supporting trans students by using that student’s name and pronouns or allowing these students to use restrooms that match with their gender identity. Teachers have been under this kind of political pressure for years, as states like Florida and Kentucky enact policies banning LGBTQ+ content in schools and restrict how teachers can interact with trans students.

Catherine Lhamon, an assistant secretary for the Office for Civil Rights at the Department of Education under former President Joe Biden, said that complying with this order is ultimately impossible for federal agencies, in part because the order lacks clarity and clashes with other orders signed by Trump. She also believes it is illegal.

“The executive order effectively directs curricular instruction and it is, in multiple statutes, against the law for the United States Department of Education to direct curriculum, which is locally controlled,” Lhamon said. The Department of Education Organization Act, the federal law passed by Congress in 1979 that first established the agency, makes that clear. By directing what school staff can and cannot say in a public school, the order also seems to contradict an earlier order signed by Trump guaranteeing respect for free speech under the First Amendment, she said.

President Trump campaigned on returning power over students’ education to the states, even going so far as promising to shut down the Department of Education entirely. But this executive order explicitly uses federal funding to determine what can be taught in schools while labeling certain concepts as divisive, said Katy Joseph, formerly chief of staff for the Education Department’s Office for Civil Rights.

The executive order gives federal agencies 90 days to create a plan to discover and restrict all federal funding sources that “directly or indirectly support or subsidize the instruction, advancement, or promotion of gender ideology or discriminatory equity ideology” in K-12 curriculums and teacher certification. Those agencies also have 90 days to figure out how to restrict funds from being used at schools to support transgender students’ social transition — including through school staff not alerting parents that their students are transgender.

The order also gave the secretary of education, who has yet to be confirmed by the Senate, 120 days to reestablish the 1776 Commission, an advisory group created during the first Trump to promote a specific version of patriotism in school curricula.

Rachel Laser, president and CEO of the religious freedom advocacy organization Americans United for Separation of Church and State, said in a statement that bringing back the commission “would advance narrow Christian nationalist beliefs about gender and a white-washed American history.” It would also blur the lines between church and state, which, she said, stands in direct opposition to the nation’s founding principles.

Nicholas Hite, a senior attorney for Lambda Legal, a civil rights organization focused on the LGBTQ+ community, called the executive order “patently unconstitutional nonsense.” In a statement, he said it is“designed to demean and deny the very existence of transgender and other queer youth.”

Hite continued: “Bans on using the correct restrooms threaten the safety and health of transgender and nonbinary youth. Denying the opportunity to participate in school sports programs with their classmates deprives them of the many opportunities and developmental benefits all agree come from joining in team sports. And compelling teachers to tell parents about a student’s in-school request that a chosen name or pronoun be used — contrary to the student’s wishes — can expose the student to violence in the home.”

To Joseph, Trump’s blitz of executive orders in the first days of his presidency are part of a clear strategy: to demonize certain marginalized groups and distract people from the larger picture of his administration’s broader agenda to undermine democracy.

“Trans youth and trans folks more broadly are very high on that list, as well as immigrants, students who are here are on student visas, and now educators are being pulled into that as well,” she said.

This new executive order targets practices that support transgender youth while broadly undermining the ability for all young people to learn critical thinking skills and accurate history, Joseph said. Until this point, the federal government had not had any role in curriculum development; the task had always been a local process, with limited oversight from the federal agency to investigate potentially hostile learning environments, she said.

In addition to Lambda Legal, the Human Rights Campaign, Advocates for Trans Equality and other LGBTQ+ advocacy groups condemned Trump’s executive order on Wednesday, during a week where the administration made several attempts to roll back LGBTQ+ rights at the federal level.

“Our team of lawyers and policy analysts will be scrutinizing the executive order closely in the coming days for its impact on our community, and we stand ready to use every resource at our disposal, from Capitol Hill to the courts, to defend the rights of all students, parents, and teachers who deserve to feel safe and welcome at school,” said Rodrigo Heng-Lehtinen, Advocates for Trans Equality (A4TE) executive director, in a statement.

Several lawsuits against the Trump administration have already been taken up in response to executive orders that restrict LGBTQ+ rights. GLAD Law and the National Center for Lesbian Rights are challenging Trump’s executive order barring transgender people from the military. An incarcerated trans woman has filed a lawsuit against Trump’s broad executive order mandating that the federal government only recognize two sexes — an order that would require housing trans people in federal prisons based on their sex assigned at birth.

“All young people – including LGBTQ+ students and the children of LGBTQ+ parents, who are accepted by the adults in their life have much better outcomes for mental health and other metrics,” Kelley Robinson, president of the Human Rights Campaign, said in a statement. “We owe it to them to ensure that they feel safe, respected and ready to learn when they’re at school.”

'Patriotic education': Trump orders federal push to monitor K-12 curriculum was originally published by the 19th.

Orion Rummier is an LGBTQ+ reporter for The 19th, his reporting ranges from health policy explainers and court deep dives to statehouse breaking news and features on LGBTQ+ daily life.

Nadra Nittle contributed reporting.


Read More

Talent Isn’t the Problem. Belonging Is.

Zaila Avant-Garde on stage at the 30th Anniversary Bounce Trumpet Awards at Dolby Theatre on April 23, 2022 in Hollywood, California.

Getty Images, Alberto E. Rodriguez

Talent Isn’t the Problem. Belonging Is.

Every spring, as the Scripps National Spelling Bee captures national attention, we celebrate the brilliance of young spellers—children who command stages and spell words that even confuse adults. This time of the year makes me think back to when I was 9 years old, when I won my school’s spelling bee and advanced to the county competition. Standing in a large, crowded room, surrounded by what felt like hundreds of faces that didn’t look like mine, I whispered to myself: “I can’t do this.” Maybe I wasn’t supposed to be there at all.

So instead of showcasing my own brilliance, I committed self-sabotage by intentionally misspelling each word on the spelling test.

Keep ReadingShow less
National Museum of African American History and Culture, a Smithsonian museum with unique exhibits on African American history, culture & community, Washington, D.C., USA

The National Museum of African American History and Culture, a Smithsonian museum with unique exhibits on African American history, culture & community, Washington, D.C., USA

Getty Images, PurpleImages

Florida’s Anti-DEI Politics Will Destroy the Culture Museums are Created to Support

Recently, I sat in my museum’s annual public programming meeting, expecting the usual work of dreaming up the next year: what our community needs and what children deserve. But when Florida’s anti-DEI measure, SB 1134, came up, the room shifted from possibility to fear.

That meeting is usually the best part of our jobs. This time, however, the conversation turned to risk: what would become too dangerous to defend and what would be dropped before anyone even had to tell us to drop it. One of our managers finally said, “Culture is dead.” What I heard was more precise: culture is not dead. It is being killed.

Keep ReadingShow less
​Secretary of Labor Lori Chavez-DeRemer.

Secretary of Labor Lori Chavez-DeRemer arrives to the chambers of the U.S. House of Representatives ahead of President Trump's State of the Union address on February 24, 2026. (Nathan Posner/Anadolu/Getty Images)

Nathan Posner/Anadolu/Getty Images

In Two Months, Trump’s Cabinet Has Lost Three Women

President Donald Trump’s second Cabinet was never exceptionally diverse from the start. And in the past two months, three women have been fired or resigned.

The first to go, on March 5, was ex-Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem, the face of the Trump administration’s mass deportation agenda. Then, less than a month later, Trump ousted former Attorney General Pam Bondi. And on Monday, embattled Labor Secretary Lori Chavez-DeRemer announced her resignation.

Keep ReadingShow less
American flag on a military uniform

Amid rising tensions with Iran, critics warn Trump-era military policies, discrimination, and leadership decisions are weakening U.S. readiness and national security.

adamkaz/Getty Images

Uncle Sam Wants You—Just Not Women or People of Color

As Trump’s War in Iran causes unprecedented global volatility, revealing significant weaknesses in our military, the President and his Secretary of War can’t seem to stop playing the politics of prejudice. A year ago, without explanation, Hegseth fired the first ever female Chief of Naval Operations and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, a Black man. The latter was an F-16 pilot who once said in a recruitment commercial: “When I’m flying…You don’t know…whether I’m African American…You just know I’m an American Airman, kicking your butt.” Turns out when he wasn’t flying his boss figured out his race and kicked him off his post. Now, Hegseth has interfered with promotions for over a dozen Black and female senior officers across all branches, including blocking four outstanding Army officers–two Black men and two women–from becoming one-star generals. What was presented as "anti-woke" posturing is clearly little more than a thinly-veiled and targeted culture war. These racist, sexist, superficial “leaders” gotta go.

The war against wokeness is morally and strategically wrong, distracting us all from real missions. Instead of swiftly ending an ill-defined, illegal, indefinite war with Iran (that is not going well, to say the least) or addressing an ongoing manpower shortage, Hegseth went out of his way to unilaterally stop the advancement of four diverse officers with long careers of “exemplary service,” despite questionable legal authority to do so and against the counsel of the Secretary of the Army. Allegations of racial and gender bias are apropos, but it’s also just plain stupid. Roughly 43% of active duty troops are people of color while their leadership is overwhelmingly white, and women are leaving the military at a rate 28% higher than men. At a time when the military could use all the talent it can get, why is Hegseth keeping competent leaders from leading and disqualifying and disenfranchising over half the talent pool?

Keep ReadingShow less