Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Follow Us:
Top Stories

Coronavirus halts ballot measure progress across the country

e-signature
Andrew_Rybalko/Getty Images

Presidential election years are usually the prime time for getting small-d democracy initiatives on the ballot, but the coronavirus pandemic is posing a crippling threat to many campaigns.

Social distancing pressures plus stay-at-home orders in all but a handful of states are making it nearly impossible to secure the tens of thousands of signatures needed to get initiatives on the November ballot. And because no state allows an alternate way of showing broad grassroots support — such as electronic signatures — many campaigns have halted operations.

Others are clinging to hope. Groups promoting six different ballot measures in Arizona filed lawsuits in federal and state court last week asking for permission to gather e-signatures at least during the public emergency, which has resulted in a statewide stay-at-home order through at least the end of the month.


At least 18 ballot measure campaigns across 10 states have suspended their in-person signature gathering efforts due to Covid-19, according to Ballotpedia. Four had initiatives related to democracy reform: Two in Arizona are promoting campaign finance regulations and voting rights improvements. One in Michigan wants to close lobbying and donor disclosure loopholes, while one in Arkansas would establish an independent redistricting commission.

Two groups that have sued, Arizonans for Fair Elections and Healthcare Rising AZ, maintain the in-person signature gathering requirement is an unconstitutional burden during a national public health crisis. If they are turned down in federal court, they say, they may have to give up on their causes until the next statewide election two years from now.

"It will be very challenging to make the ballot without digital signatures, but we will explore every option to give voters a voice on this issue in November," said Anabel Maldonado, campaign manager for Arizonans for Fair Elections.

Chris Melody Fields Figueredo of the Ballot Initiative Strategy Center, a nonprofit that helps promote ballot initiatives for progressive causes, said it's too early to tell how many campaigns will be abandoned because of the Covid-19 outbreak. But she says, "these are issues that won't go away, regardless of whether they make it on the ballot or not."

In order to get their proposals before the voters in November, each of the Arizona groups needs more than 237,000 valid signatures. The complaint asks permission to use the E-Qual system to gather them — noting that system currently may be used by would-be candidates seeking spots on the ballot lines for Congress, statewide office and the Legislature.

Democratic Secretary of State Katie Hobbs said Monday that she "wouldn't oppose" expanding use of that system for ballot measures during the pandemic as "a reasonable option for protecting public health and supporting continuity in our democratic processes."

Four states and one city have already made exceptions for ballot petitions given the current circumstances. Officials in Colorado, Utah, Washington, Oklahoma and San Diego have either granted deadline extensions for signature gathering or waived other obligations.

Before the coronavirus became so widespread, 18 initiatives across 13 states had been approved for the ballot in November. Floridians will decide whether to establish a top-two open primary for state elections. Colorado voters will determine whether the state allocates its nine electoral votes to the presidential candidate who wins the popular vote.

And after a hard-fought and long-winded battle, the Virginia General Assembly voted for a second straight year for creating an independent redistricting commission, putting it on the Nov. 3 ballot for voters to have the final say.


Read More

A Democracy Cannot Run on an AI Model

Clerk Matthew Sandbar, 34, demonstrates part of the ballot-sorting process to members of the media attending a walkthrough of the Philadelphia Ballot Processing Center used to process the ballots of the 2022 US midterm elections, in Philadelphia on October 27, 2022.

Photo by Ryan Collerd / AFP via Getty Images

A Democracy Cannot Run on an AI Model

Tallying the results of Washington, DC’s first ranked-choice election in June took about 10 days—longer than many voters are used to. In an age when artificial intelligence can generate an answer in seconds, waiting days for election results can feel old-fashioned, inefficient, even suspicious. And it is about to matter far more widely. This November, 17 states, cities, and counties will use ranked-choice voting, including Maine and Alaska statewide, in races that could help decide control of Congress. More voters than ever will watch results take days to resolve, and more will be asked to trust a count they cannot see.

But that slowness may be one of its most democratic features.

Keep ReadingShow less
People waiting in a line outside as the sun sets.

Voters wait in line outside the Metropolitan Multi-Service Center to cast their ballots in Houston, Tuesday, Nov. 4, 2025. A recent state investigation confirmed that some registered voters flagged as potential noncitizens by a federal system had already provided proof of citizenship.

Brett Coomer/Houston Chronicle via Getty Images

Texas Confirms Some Flagged As Potential Noncitizens on Voter Rolls Had Provided DPS Proof of Citizenship

Election officials across the state should immediately reinstate some voters who were incorrectly flagged as potential noncitizens through a federal program, the Texas Secretary of State’s Office told county officials Wednesday.

Christina Adkins, the state elections director, told county officials the state had reviewed Texas Department of Public Safety records confirming the citizenship of some of the 2,724 registered voters who were flagged as potential noncitizens, according to an audio recording of her comments obtained by Votebeat and The Texas Tribune, as well as election officials who heard them. The voters were flagged after the state checked its voter roll through a federal program called Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements, or SAVE, used to verify the citizenship of people registered to vote.

Keep ReadingShow less
People walking down the steps of the U.S. capitol.

House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY) (C), Democratic Conference Chair Rep. Pete Aguilar (D-CA) (R), and House Minority Whip Katherine Clark (D-MA) (L) and other House Democrats arrive for a news conference on the House steps on November 12, 2025 in Washington, DC.

Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

DNC's Proposed RCV Ban Sparks Debate Over 2028 Presidential Primaries

Democratic National Committee insiders are poised to ban the use of ranked choice voting (RCV) in selecting their presidential nominee in 2028 – overriding presidential primary laws in Maine and Washington, D.C, and squashing great interest in this use of RCV among state legislators and the many state parties who run their own primaries.

Presidential primaries are among the most compelling use cases for RCV. They draw crowded fields of candidates that voters get to know and are eager to rank rather than be limited to one. Parties must unite their big tent of voters, and RCV rewards unifying candidates. The sequential nature of primaries is a problematic fit with early voting – in 2020, for example, more than three million Democratic voters cast a ballot for a candidate who had withdrawn before that vote was counted.

Keep ReadingShow less
​U.S. President Donald Trump sitting in the Oval Office.

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during an announcement on American nuclear innovation in the Oval Office at the White House on July 24, 2026 in Washington, DC.

Eric Lee/Getty Images

Trump’s Elections Speech Was Not the Opening Shot; It was the Latest Salvo

President Donald Trump’s recent address repeating his claim that he won the 2020 election was widely portrayed as a dramatic escalation of his attacks on our election system. It wasn’t.

It is nothing new!

Keep ReadingShow less