Beyond the Virginia governor's race, here's what's on the Nov. 2 ballot
While most of the national attention will be on Virginia's gubernatorial election next week, many other states will also be holding key elections on Nov. 2.
The tight race between Republican Glenn Youngkin and Democrat Terry McAuliffe, who is seeking a second, non-consecutive term in Virginia's Executive Mansion, is seen by many political prognosticators as a sign of what's to come in next year's midterm congressional elections. And the Democratic-led General Assembly could be up for grabs as well.
But there's also a governor's race in New Jersey. Democrat Phil Murphy is running for a second term against Republican Jack Ciattarelli, while down-ballot races will fill out the Legislature.
Here are other local and statewide elections taking place across the country next week:
- In Arizona, there will be votes on ballot initiatives in Chandler, Scottsdale and Gilbert, and a municipal election in Tucson.
- California has several localities with ballot measure elections, as well as candidate races in Los Angeles County and other jurisdictions.
- Colorado has elections for statewide ballot measures, as well as some local ballot initiatives.
- In Florida, there are municipal elections in Miami, St. Petersburg and Orlando, as well as a special primary for the state's 20th congressional district.
- Georgia's capital, Atlanta, has municipal elections and Fulton, the most populous county, has a ballot initiative election. There's also a special election for a state House seat.
- Iowa's capital, Des Moines, has municipal elections.
- Idaho has municipal elections in its capital, Boise, as well as local school board and ballot measure elections.
- In Kansas, Wichita and Topeka have municipal elections. Several other jurisdictions have school board elections.
- Kentucky has three special elections for seats in the General Assembly.
- Massachusetts' capital, Boston, has a municipal election and there's a special election for a state House seat.
- In Maryland, the cities of Annapolis and Greenbelt have municipal elections.
- In Maine, there are municipal elections in Portland and Bangor, as well as statewide initiatives on the ballot.
- In Michigan, Detroit and Lansing have municipal elections. There are also special elections for two state Senate seats.
- In Minnesota, there's a high-profile race for mayor of Minneapolis. Also, St. Paul has a municipal election and two other jurisdictions have school board contests.
- Mississippi has two special elections for state Senate seats.
- In Montana, there's a municipal election in Helena.
- Durham, N.C., has a municipal election.
- In New Hampshire, there's a municipal election in Concord and a school board election in Manchester.
- In New Mexico, there are municipal and school board elections in Albuquerque and municipal elections in Santa Fe.
- New York City has its general election for mayor and city council. Elsewhere in the state, there are local elections in Albany and Erie County.
- Ohio has a statewide ballot initiative election. The cities of Toledo, Cincinnati and Cleveland have municipal elections, and there are special elections to represent the 11th and 15th congressional districts. Several other jurisdictions have school board elections.
- Pennsylvania has statewide elections for district attorney, city controller and several judges, as well as ballot initiatives. There are also special elections in Philadelphia and for two state House seats.
- Rhode Island has a special election for a state Senate seat.
- Columbia, S.C., has municipal elections.
- Several jurisdictions in Texas have special elections for school districts and local measures on the ballot. There's also a runoff election for a state House seat.
- Salt Lake City, Utah, has municipal elections.
- Washington has municipal elections in Seattle and Tacoma, as well as a statewide ballot measure.
- Wyoming has local elections in Laramie County.
- Pandemic or not, young people remain key to elections - The Fulcrum ›
- Timing is everything: Why 'off year' elections are a turnout buzz kill ... ›
- Ballotpedia's 2021 Elections To Watch - The Fulcrum ›